What is Jimdo?
Jimdo is a website builder and online platform that allows users to create a professional website without the need for coding or design skills. It offers a range of templates and design options, as well as e-commerce tools and integrations with social media. Users can choose between a free version of the platform or paid subscription plans with additional features. Jimdo is designed to be user-friendly and allows users to easily create and edit their websites from any device with an internet connection.
The number of Jimdo plans — and their names — varies quite a lot by country. In this review, we’re looking at the US plans — of which 5 are available, presented under two categories: ‘Website’ and ‘Online Store.’
- Play — $0 per month
- Start — $9 per month
- Grow — $14 per month
- Business — $18 per month
- VIP — $24 per month
I listed US pricing above, but the structure and features of the plans are pretty similar elsewhere. For example, an entry-level plan costs £9 in the UK and €9 in EU countries.
As such, Jimdo prices vary greatly by location. The company doesn’t seem to care too much about currency conversions that are appropriate for the local market. This is in contrast to other similar platforms. Some of Jimdo’s competitors allow for currency fluctuations.
Jimdo offers a range of payment gateways that users can use to accept payments on their website. Payment gateways allow users to securely process online payments from customers using credit or debit cards, or other payment methods. Some of the payment gateways available with Jimdo include:
- PayPal: PayPal is a popular payment gateway that allows users to accept payments through their website. Users can create a PayPal account and link it to their Jimdo website to start accepting payments.
- Stripe: Stripe is another payment gateway that allows users to accept credit card payments on their website. It is easy to set up and use, and offers a range of features such as recurring billing and payment disputes.
- 2Checkout: 2Checkout is a payment gateway that supports a wide range of payment methods, including credit and debit cards, bank transfers, and e-wallets. It is a secure and reliable option for accepting payments on a Jimdo website.
- Authorize.net: Authorize.net is a payment gateway that allows users to accept credit card payments on their website. It offers a range of security features to protect against fraud, and is easy to set up and use.
In addition to these payment gateways, Jimdo also supports other options, such as Amazon Pay, Klarna, and Apple Pay. Users can choose the payment gateway that best meets their needs and add it to their website through the Jimdo platform.
In the context of a website builder like Jimdo, a template is a pre-designed layout that can be used as a starting point for creating a website. Templates often include elements such as a header, footer, navigation menu, and content areas, and can be customized with text, images, and other content to create a unique website.
Jimdo offers a wide range of templates that users can choose from to create their website. The templates are grouped into categories based on the type of website they are suitable for, such as business, online store, or personal, and are designed to be responsive, meaning they work well on all devices, including desktop computers, tablets, and mobile phones.
Users can preview and customize templates from within the Jimdo platform to create a website that reflects their brand and meets their needs. The templates can be modified by changing the color scheme, adding or removing elements, and uploading custom images and logos.
Overall, templates are a useful tool for users who want to create a professional-looking website quickly and easily, without the need for design skills. They provide a starting point that can be customized to create a unique and functional website.
Jimdo’s customer support team is available to assist users with any questions or issues they may have while using the platform. Users can contact the support team by email or phone, and the company aims to respond to all inquiries as quickly as possible. In addition to direct support from the company, Jimdo also offers a range of online resources to help users get the most out of their websites. These resources include a knowledge base with articles and guides on a variety of topics, such as building and designing a website, using e-commerce features, and integrating with social media. The knowledge base is a great resource for users who prefer to find answers to their questions independently, or who want to learn more about the platform and its features.
In addition to the knowledge base, Jimdo also has a community forum where users can ask questions and get advice from other Jimdo users. The forum is a helpful resource for users who want to connect with others who are using the platform and share experiences and best practices. The forum is moderated by Jimdo staff and is a safe and friendly space for users to ask questions and get help with their websites.
Overall, Jimdo is committed to providing excellent customer support to its users. The company’s support team is available to assist users with any questions or issues they may have, and the online resources and tutorials are a great way for users to learn more about the platform and its features.
Pros and cons of using Jimdo
There are several pros and cons to consider when using Jimdo as a website builder:
- Easy to use: Jimdo is designed to be user-friendly and requires no coding or design skills.
- Wide range of templates and design options: Jimdo offers a variety of templates and design options, so users can create a unique and professional-looking website.
- E-commerce capabilities: Jimdo offers a range of e-commerce tools, making it easy for users to sell products and services online.
- Mobile-friendly: Jimdo websites are designed to be responsive and work well on all devices, including mobile phones and tablets.
- Social media integration: Jimdo allows users to easily integrate their website with social media platforms, such as Facebook and Instagram.
- Limited customization options: While Jimdo offers a range of templates and design options, it may not be as customizable as some other website builders.
- Limited storage and bandwidth: The free version of Jimdo comes with limited storage and bandwidth, which may not be sufficient for users with large or high-traffic websites.
- Paid subscription required for advanced features: Some advanced features, such as custom domain names and email addresses, are only available with paid subscription plans.
- May not be suitable for larger or more complex websites: While Jimdo is a good option for small businesses and personal websites, it may not be as suitable for larger or more complex websites that require more advanced features.
Some users may find that Jimdo meets all of their needs and is the perfect platform for creating their website, while others may prefer a different website builder or a more customized solution.
Some of the key factors to consider when deciding if Jimdo is the right choice for you include:
- Ease of use: Jimdo is designed to be user-friendly and requires no coding or design skills. If you are new to website building or are looking for a platform that is easy to use, Jimdo may be a good option.
- Features: Jimdo offers a range of features, including templates, design options, e-commerce tools, and social media integration. Consider what features you need and if Jimdo has them.
- Customization: Jimdo offers some customization options, but it may not be as customizable as some other website builders. If you need a high level of customization, you may want to consider a different platform.
- Cost: Jimdo offers both a free version of the platform and paid subscription plans. Consider your budget and what features you need when deciding which plan is right for you.
Ultimately, the best website builder for you will depend on your specific needs and preferences. It is recommended to do your research and try out different platforms to find the one that works best for you.